Monday, December 15, 2014

Deck the Classroom


We have been in full-fledged Christmas mode at work and home, and I'm loving every minute of it! I'm in the second trimester and have my energy back, but we have barely been home enough for me to even think about blogging. Christmas is my favorite time of year despite the fact that it is so busy, and this year has been the best so far with Keagan old enough to really start understanding more of it. Last night we went to look at lights in downtown Richmond and were surprised to find Santa sitting under the big tree! Keagan wouldn't go on his own, so Papa (and his little cousin) had to come with him. Still, he was a big boy and told Santa what he wanted (apparently so did Papa!) and then sat near him for a quick picture. First picture without tears, so I'd call it a success!


But that's not what I originally started this post for. Amy (you know, THE Amy Lemons who I just adore?) from Step into Second Grade has a cute little linky going on over at her blog that I've been meaning to join for at least a week. Then again, I just finished decorating my classroom this morning. 


I dug my tree out of school storage, where it had been since the year I had Keagan...so three years of cobwebs...and put it up last week, but I'd been meaning to bring the extra string of lights to put around my Promethean. Today I finally remembered, and it makes everything so much cheerier! I know there's only one week left, but if it brings a smile to my face, I don't care. Plus watching Rudolph like this is WAY cooler!



Last week, I went the serious route with my fourth and fifth graders. We read Silver Packages, which I will have to do a separate post on later this week, but it's a must read. And then I also did an infographic with my 5th grade students on childhood poverty in the United States. I want these kids to realize that it's not all about the presents and that some kids, even in our own country, don't experience the pleasures that they have. They really did a great job, but I figured it was time to change pace for the week before break.

This week, I'm doing some review of plot with 5th grade, so we're watching Rudolph the Red-Nose Reindeer and then making a plot tree. Then I kind of copied that for 3rd, and we're watching Frosty the Snowman while finding the problem, solution, and events leading up to it. Of course, I have Erin from Lovin' Lit to thank for both of those things! The problem/solution activity is part of her Interactive Notebook, and we'll finish it later this week. And the Rudolph activity is just one of many in this amazing pack!

Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer ~ Common Core Literary Anal     Grades 2-3 ~ Interactive Reading Literature Notebooks *Ele

Fourth grade is having fun with one of my mysteries. My first class had so much fun with it that they actually started making suggestions for New Year's mysteries. We'll see if I find time to actually make one, but I'm definitely interested in trying!

The Case of the Cookie Thief - an activity for drawing con

My small groups are also looking at the lyrics to You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch to practice some context clues and have some fun with it. Plus I make a deal with them that we can watch the song if they are good listeners and work hard. I'm never opposed to Christmas music!

We get out Friday, but I have the day off tomorrow to celebrate my little boy's birthday. Can you believe he turns 3? I guess it IS time for another ;-)

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like you're staying very busy!! Merry almost Christmas!!

    -Amanda
    Kindergarten Teacher at the Wheel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a cute picture! Definitely one to keep- he will treasure that as an adult! :) Your classroom is adorable, too.

    Mandy
    Caffeine and Lesson Plans

    ReplyDelete
  3. How did you attach the lights to the Promethean board? Command hooks?

    ReplyDelete