Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Brain Teaser Puzzles and books

Okay, I have been looking for a book of brain teaser puzzles like I remember doing in elementary school. You may remember them as well. You had a group of people, a list of foods (or something like that), and another list of items (maybe a color). They gave you a small set of clues, and you had to use the process of elimination to match each person with the correct food and color. They gave you a chart to put X's and check marks as you solved the brain teaser. They were my FAVORITES! To this day, I have yet to find one. So last week I decided to try my hand at making some myself.



So far, I've only made 3. However, my plan is to make them throughout the year. I put the packet on TpT this morning for $1.50. If you buy it now, you can have all of the brain teasers as I create them for one low price. I will update the price as I continue to add.

Today and tomorrow are teacher workdays here (and the weather is BEAUTIFUL - I may have to eat outside), so I'm hoping to get another product or two completed. I want to do a unit on John, Paul, George, and Ben, one of my favorite picture books.


I would also like to create something for President's Day and something for Dr. Seuss since that's coming up. For Dr. Seuss, I'm leaning toward an activity with his very first book, And To Think That I Saw That on Mulberry Street. Did you know I had not actually read that book until last year? It's so great!


While I'm on the topic of books, have any of you ever read either of these?

         

The first one was all over Teaching in Room 6's Facebook page yesterday, and I had to check it out. Everyone thought it would be this year's Newbery Award winner. It lost to The One and Only Ivan. I went on my library's page and reserved a copy of Wonder to pick up today. Then I'll find the other. I need to catch up on these two books because I've never heard of them. Trust me, I'll give a review of them as I finish each. Wonder sounds fantastic!

Alright, time to get to work now!

4 comments:

  1. Sorry let's try that again:
    I LOOOOVE John, Paul, George, and Ben!! We learn about all the "guys" in our Revolution unit so I read it at the end so my kids will get the jokes. They just laaaugh!! Especially Paul's big underwear part. :) and I used to love those brain teasers!! I'll go get them for sure. :)
    Jessica
    ideasbyjivey.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you ever searched under the term "logic puzzles"? I have a bunch that I use with my class, and they still love them! I will definitely check out yours!

    Diane
    Fifth in the Middle

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE the book "John, Paul, George, and Ben!" I wish I taught the American Revolution - I usually do a quick review before the Standardized Test to review what they learned in 4th grade, so I read it then. I can't wait - the kids LOVE it!

    ~Jessica
    Joy in the Journey

    ReplyDelete
  4. We just started WONDER a couple of weeks ago. I am reading it to my class every day before lunch and it is keeping their attention-which is rare for my bunch. One of our sixth grade teachers said she thought every student in the middle school should be required to read it. That got my attention! I hope you enjoy it as much as we are (:

    ReplyDelete